Wish I Had Said That

"I learned long ago not to be intimidated by an absence of difficulty"
- John Gill

"Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."-Frederick Douglass

"If my thought dreams could be seen, they'd probably put my head in a guillotine"-Bob Dylan

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Slow Ride

Looks like winter might actually get going here in the Northern Rockies of the US of A (discounting those lucky avalanche prone bastards in Cooke).  I have been genuflecting at my snow altar like a religious fanatic the past two months.  I have fully destroyed a pair of K2 Coombacks at Bridger plus that tasty digger in the Gallatins.  My ski tech advisers are advising me to buy better-built skis, or perhaps I should just ride groomers.

The Lines, The Lines
Photobucket The last several weeks I have fully committed to the church of the Spanish Peaks.  Beautiful riding has been the norm.  Not in the mini-alpine zone of Beehive, but beyond.  Skied Blaze Mountain twice, toured to the north side of Gallatin Peak, skied peak 10,602 on 8 different occasions with a variety of good partners.  Pretty sure my feet are getting pissed at me.  The frostbite from last season seems to not be healed.  Every evening has been pain-filled with a good 10 minutes of the screaming barfies in my right big toe.  Sweet reminder of skiing all day in -15 Fahrenheit temps last year.

Keeping it Safe
Photobucket Climbing is taking a rest at the moment.  But at least I ski like a skier and not like a climber.

I love the climbing game, but its rapid transformation into a total ego-driven, me, me sport has really put a bad taste on my palette.  Everywhere I look there is another climber posing down, trying to get noticed for 15 seconds.  Get over it everyone.  Putting your digits and limbs in some granite or sandstone crack or crimping on a dime edge for a pitch and then sitting on your duff for an hour to catch your breath and eat some shitty food is not that impressive.  Wiring routes after 15 goes.  That is so amazing...almost like an idiot savant counting cards.  On-sight it if you can, give 100 percent and after 5 tries maybe wait till you are good enough.  At least in skiing everyone has long ago realized that its a glam sport for the white privileged class.  Climbers are still running around acting like they are living in the Golden Age.  Get over it and get a life.  The most inspiring climbers to me are the ones capable of climbing hard while at the same time maintaining a life (i.e., relationships, children, being an athlete, work, ethical living).

We leave for British Columbia in a few days.  Backcountry skiing is on the menu for 10 days.  To say I am excited is an obvious understatement.  I am beyond stoked.  Do not worry I will bring my camera on every outing and try and actually post while traveling.  A little ego-driven mania for myself.  At least I will have Zana by my side keeping it real.  She really does not care what you do.

Peace to the homies and remember....."Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.  I got to say it was good day."

3 comments:

  1. I think the difference in attitudes comes from having no ski equivalent to the climbing gym. Which is sick.
    That is a rad pic of the n wall of Gallatin BTW. Can't believe how thin it looks in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Jah that there is not equivalent to a climbing gym for skiers.

    North Gallatin is very thin...but that's not it. Unnamed peak/ridge above Mirror Lake. Sick lines off it, lots of objective danger. Come spring should be good for a few days at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare I say the Ridge is akin to a climbing gym for skiers? Just a funny thought...great photos Andrew, stay safe in Canada and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Followers